Monday, December 14, 2009

Art lust





I am in lust with these images captured by Brooklyn-based photographer Joseph O. Holmes. They are stunning and gorgeous, of course, but I also love how yellow (my favorite color) is the focus in each. If I had my way, I would hang both of these photos on my white apartment walls (along with this beautiful snapshot of the Brooklyn Bridge-- a Ciao, Chessa! print I won recently in an Unbeweavable giveaway!) and convince myself that I was living in the city. A girl can dream, right?

Cue me singing Jay-Z and Alicia Key's song "Empire State of Mind"...

In New York,
Concrete jungle where dreams are made of
There's nothing you can't do
Now you're in New York
These streets will make you feel brand new
Big lights will inspire you
Let's hear it for New York, New York, New York

Don't you love that song? Sorry, I digress. Back to art.

While one glimpse at these photos was enough to make me fall head over heels, reading the stroke of serendipity that led to the creation of each image is what stole my heart completely. I'll let Holmes explain:

As I gradually become better at taking photographs, I'm learning the subtle art of twisting the elements of cliche into something archetypal, the hackneyed into something original. At the same time, I'm honing the skills needed to control the process—manipulating depth of field, light, motion, framing, timing—until using the camera becomes almost instinctual. Sometimes, I start to believe that controlling the process is mastering the art.

But then something happens to remind me that control is always at the whim and mercy of larger forces. I look through the viewfinder one day and all the yellow taxis appear out of nowhere to line up in a tidy curve, and I shake my head and thank the muses and the gods of chaos and chance. One day the woman in the yellow dress steps into my frame to humble me and remind me that all I can do is accept the gift when it's offered.

Isn't that lovely? How nature conspires and the stars align? How beauty can be found in everyday moments if only you take a moment to look?

A side note: These images can be purchased on 20x200, a wonderful online gallery that makes art accessible to everyone. (I have to thank Melanie of You are my fave for turning me onto this site today.) Fabulous works of art can be yours for just 20 bucks! Unfortunately, the two above have already sold out at that price but they are still available in larger versions for a bit more.

I also found a golf-inspired photo that I am thinking about getting the boy for Christmas to perhaps hang in his office. Have I ever told you that he is a head golf professional at a local country club? Well, he is. Click here to take a peek (but if you are the boy in question do not, I repeat, do not, click the link! :)

So, what's your relationship with art? Have you fallen in lust with any art or artists lately? Do you have much of a collection or are you still working on it? (I fall into the latter category.) And what is your favorite medium or aesthetic? (Mine's photography, if you couldn't already guess.)




P.S. Today is my brother's birthday! He's 23 and I can hardly believe he is that old. As you know, I am 24, so we are not that far apart in age, about a year and a half. Like the good sister I am, a bought him a video game he doesn't need (Assassin's Creed II, if you really want to know) and I am hoping to make some Rice Krispie treats too. Obviously, he doesn't read this blog!

Here's a rare pic of us together at a wedding in 2008:



Happy birthday, Patrick!


top images via 20x200 

5 comments:

Amber said...

Happy Birthday to your brother. I usually just get my brother a video game or something of the like, too! Haha

Andhari said...

1. I LOVE empire state of mind. Probably one of my favorite songs in 2009.

2. There's something so..edgy about those yellow cab pictures :) it's breath taking.

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

That top photo is cool, NYC is bustling with art without knowing it (just waiting to be captured)

You Are My Fave said...

I'm glad you have found a love for 20x200 because I'm obsessed.

And thank you for the sweet Christmas card. It was so unexpected and lovingly homemade. It's displayed on our table right now.

bethany said...

ADORE that song...I'm not typically a music-thumper, but that is one that I cannot resist turning all the way up, and throwing my hands up in the air...I'm sure I look like such a fool. :)

Such beautiful photos that you'd choose to hang on your walls. I, too, would choose photography to hang on my walls, but I'm so non-committal. Plain sketches would be my second choice, just because it amazes me what some can do with a mere pencil and paper...such a basic medium which some can use to completely take me away. I'd love to have a KILLER art collection some day...some day when there aren't student loans waiting to be paid, or new cars to be purchased! :)

By the way, I got your Christmas card on Friday...LOVED IT! :) Thank you SO much!! :)