Sunday, September 13, 2009

things that made me smile this week...

We had a pretty good Sunday. It started with sleeping in. Then, I made the boy and I a late breakfast of eggs (scrambled for him, over easy for me), bacon, sourdough toast and banana slices. Which was followed by watching football for a few hours. I really didn't have much of a say in the matter! But did you see the amazing catch and 87-yard touchdown run by Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Stokley? Being in the proverbial "right place, right time" to catch that deflected ball led the Broncos to beat the Cincinnati Bengals 12-7. I'm not exactly a huge football fan, but it was a pretty exciting moment to watch. If you missed it, watch it here.

Anyway, we eventually got off the couch and went to check out Simi Valley Days, our annual hometown fair. I hadn't been in years but I wrote a story about it for the paper last week and felt like I should go make an appearance and see how the new location in the park was working out. But we ended up not staying long. Unfortunately, it wasn't as fun as I remember it being. Granted, it's really aimed more toward young kids. And the boy's stomach can't handle the rides' spins and loop-de-loops, so that was a no-go.

But we did have fun trying to win a goldfish by tossing ping pong balls into tiny fishbowls, which, of course, was impossible. And I had tons of fun beating the boy at the game where you try to pop half-blown-up balloons with darts. Even though I am no good at darts and he is actually pretty good at darts, I kicked his butt! I hit 3 out of 4 and he just got 2. He was shocked and so was I! For my efforts, I took home a "Care Bear" stuffed animal. I use the quotes because it's a knock off-- kind of like a Prado-- but it's cute nonetheless and my symbol of victory.


I then convinced the boy to grab a cup of Tutu's shave ice, which is the real deal, none of this snow cone crunchy ice. This melts in your mouth like shave ice should. We got Tiger's Blood, a mix of fruit punch and coconut. It really hit the spot considering how hot it was outside.


On our way out we went back through merchant alley, where we heard Mishavonna perform an acoustic set. While the band did sound check the boy and I stood off to the side and tried to figure out why she looked so familiar. We soon found out: she was on the last season of American Idol! I actually really liked her voice and music (you can hear her latest single, "My Cowboy," on her myspace), but what I liked even more was her blue acoustic guitar, the sight of which made me green with envy. I have always wanted to learn how to play guitar and I have always wanted a blue guitar! Bestill, my heart.

See what I mean? How can you not love that guitar?

While listening to her play, I browsed a nearby merchant booth selling books for $5 and came across a table filled with old, beautiful hardcover books. I fell in love instantly and scooped up four within the course of probably two songs (I think I am realizing why I am broke!). I couldn't resist though, and this was a case where I definitely judged the book by its cover. To be honest, I don't even really know what some of these books are about, but their covers were just so gorgeous and special and they just don't make them like this anymore, you know? The spines are fragile, the paper is browned with age and they smell dusty, like a library. I kind of feel like I bought art... for $5 each no less. I am sure once you look at the photos below you will understand.

The Poems of Edmund Spenser [Selected]. This one is my favorite. I adore the birds in the illustration and the gold behind the poet's name. It was published in 1886 by Walter Scott. It's funny, there is a "List of New Books" in the back and one ad reads "The Canterbury Poets, NOW READY, PRICE ONE SHILLING, SONNETS OF THIS CENTURY," which includes sonnets by Lord Tennyson, Robert Browning and "all the Best Writers of the Century."

Here's the other three. I haven't explored them much yet. The titles (top to bottom) are: Little Classics, Volume 5, Laughter (published in 1875, this includes A Christmas Carol); The Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow: A Book for an Idle Holiday by Jerome K. Jerome (there's a really funny dedication to the author's "very dear and well-beloved friend," his "oldest and strongest Pipe"); and Camille by Alexandre Dumas, Jr. (the book features a few illustrations as well as a a black-and-white photo of the mustached author himself).


After swiping my card, the boy dragged me out of the fair so I couldn't do anymore damage to my bank account and, most importantly, he was hungry. We had a yummy lunch at BJ's in Westlake Village and then stopped by the Cost Plus World Market across the street where I became enamored with the Italian food aisle. After filling a shopping basket with squash ravioli, sun-dried tomato and oregano tortellonis, pesto-filled mezzalunas and two kinds of gnocchi (among other things, like red raspberry scone mix--luckily the boy paid for all this), we finally made the drive back home, where little Hazel was waiting for a walk.

So, like I said, it was a good Sunday.

Here's a few other things that made me smile this week:
  • Compliments on my necklace from a stranger and a co-worker.
  • Spending a little time with my mom, pop and brother.
  • Talking on the phone to my Uncle Lars, Aunt Jan and cousin Kai-- family that I haven't spoken to in far too long but still love dearly. Side note: I may be visiting them in Loomis (near Sacramento) for Thanksgiving. We'll see!
  • Lindt hazelnut chocolate.
  • Your super sweet feedback on my blog's new look. Thank you, thank you!

I hope you all had a fabulous weekend too! Tell me, what little thing made you smile this week?


Mishavonna and her guitar image via myspace

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I love those old books! They remind me of some of the books my granny has from when my mum was growing up. They sound pretty interesting too - especially "The Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow: A Book for an Idle Holiday". :D

I also want to say how much I love your new blog design, especially the banner. It's gorgeous.

Amber said...

Wow what a great deal on those books! Looks like a fun time - I LOVE the fair :-)

Shoshanah said...

I definitely remember her from AI, and I'm glad she's been given somewhat of a 2nd chance!

And your grocery trip? Well it sounds like my kind of a trip! All those different pastas sound so good!

rachel said...

Wow, what a day! I love the books you picked up – old books have so much character. I have a couple really old ones that are practically falling apart and I haven't even read them but I just love the way they look and smell and feel.

I got to spend some time with family this weekend, too. I had lunch with my parents and my grandma – I hadn't seen her in several years. We all went out to lunch at a Thai place near my house. It's always kind of a gamble picking a place to eat but they liked the restaurant I picked... whew.
(Oh yeah, and about the spinning wheel of death – I wasn't sure that people from other areas called it that, either! Last Halloween someone at my work printed out a HUGE spinning wheel of death and attached it to himself and just stood there spinning it. One of the best costumes I've seen.)

Andhari said...

Shaved Ice and fair? Sound super awesome to me. I havent been to fairs for a while, sure it'll be much cooler when we were kids like you said but I feel like I can embrace my childhood self once again whenever I go to one :)

Ashley said...

Whenever you mention Simi Valley, I feel bad that my only memories of the place at the Reagan library, Dairy Queen, and Costco.