Thursday, September 2, 2010

Odette New York


The creativity of others never ceases to amaze me. Which is probably why it is easy for me to spend an inordinate amount of time drooling over the crafts of skilled artists on Etsy.

Take Odette New York for example. I stumbled across Jennifer Sarkilahti's Brooklyn-based shop the other day-- I had some help; she is the featured seller of the week-- while taking a much-needed break from work and since then I can't stop thinking about her gorgeous, hand carved and intricately detailed pieces cast in shimmering metal tones.


Being that I am borderline obsessed with all things bird related-- my blog is named after a bird and I have a swallow tattoo on my foot, after all-- I'll admit it was the Large Swallow Necklace that drew me in (Taylor Swift's a fan, too!). I am seriously lusting after it and wishing I had the financial resources to splurge even on the smaller version. It is such an exquisitely made piece of jewelry. A piece of art, really.


But she doesn't just do birds, as evidenced above. She has a whole bevy of creatures from nature represented in her shop-- from jackrabbits to foxes to owls, oh my! There's even monkeys, jellyfish and a French Bulldog. How's that for creative?

I also love her more organic pieces, like the Bullet Hole Necklace and Skipping Stones Necklace.

Her process is fascinating, too. Jennifer says she first sketches a design in pencil, then carves it into wax, like a tiny sculpture. The wax is cast into metal to make a master and a mold of a master is created to make multiples. After hearing all that, the initial sticker shock wears off. And the awe begins.

Suffice to say, I have a crush on Jennifer's shop. (She also has all her pieces featured here, where you can see her new fall lookbook. Seriously, just look at this ring!)

(Oh, and I kind of adore the name Odette, too. Wouldn't that make a cute little girl's name?)

Have you stumbled across any fabulous Etsy finds lately? Truth be told, it's not that hard to do.

Hope you're enjoying your Thursday evening. Stress slowly melting away...

1 comment:

rachel said...

I love her work! Wearing one of the necklaces right now :)