Monday, January 31, 2011

SAG Fashion

So, I totally forgot about the 17th annual Screen Actors Guild awards. Like, it didn't even occur to me that they were on until about 11 o'clock last night.

No!!! was my immediate thought.

And then I realized: Wait a second. All I really care about is seeing what people wore. Thank you, Internet.

So I browsed. I oohed and ahhed. There were a few ughs in there, too, as always. But, I'm too nice to point out the fashion that failed. Instead, I've compiled here the fashion that, in my opinion, was fabulous. Take a look and let me know what you think! (to see bigger, click the photo!)

Ladies in Red
I adore Mila Kunis in this belted, flowy Alexander McQueen dress. It is romantic yet edgy and young at the same time. And her wavy locks and trademark smoky eyes are the perfect fit. She looks cool and a bit sassy, just as I imagine her to be.

And Tina Fey, well, I just applaud her! She has been known to find herself on the worst dress list; but she looks stunning in this red lace Oscar de la Renta gown. It hugs her in all the right places and the embellished bodice adds a bit of fun to a dress that could otherwise be too serious for the comedienne.

Shining brightly
Critics debated whether her crisp white Azzaro column sheath was a bit too tight for her baby bump, but I think Natalie Portman looks gorgeous. (The $2 million in Tiffany jewels doesn't hurt, either.) And I even heard criticism of her hair, that it was a bit too severe. But I don't mind the pulled back look-- because just look at that skin! Flawless! Glowing! Pregnancy is doing Portman good.

Onto Julia Stiles, who, I have to say, looks better than ever. This is how I would want to look on the red carpet. Seriously, that faded navy-and-white Monique Lhuillier gown makes her look lit from within, don't you think? And her hair is great, too. I love the tumbling golden ringlets over her shoulder.

"Glee" starlet Lea Michele abandoned her usual show-stopping ball gown for a sleeker style. Her shimmering sliver Oscar de la Renta dress is sexy but not over the top, and the combination of dewy skin, nude lips and just-rolled-out-of-bed hair completes the effortless look.

Fun & Funky
I've probably mentioned it on here before, but I love color on the red carpet. Don't give me black and boring. Give me fun and funky! I give kudos to gals who take chances when it comes to fashion and I think these risks paid off.

Claire Danes is bringing spring early in her floral belted Louis Vuitton gown. The ruffles at the bodice gives her a little oomph where she needs it and the pops of pinky-orange on her lips and tips-- ahem, nails-- are an unexpected but fun contrast.

Hailee Steinfeld, of "True Grit," is the new face of young Hollywood, and the new face of fabulous young Hollywood fashion. Two awards shows in a row she has nailed it, looking fresh, pretty and age-appropriate (she is only 14 after all). Hailee looked picture perfect in cream at the Golden Globes. She went an entirely different direction this time in a magenta, black and tangerine-striped Prada dress but again, picture perfect! And so cute. I kind of want to wear a shorter version of that dress this summer.

Soft & Nude
Now these weren't my favorites but they are getting honorable mentions. Lea Michele's "Glee" co-star Heather Morris looked sweet and chic in a strapless, crystal embroidered, peachy Romona Keveza dress-- proving fair girls can go nude.

Also looking ethereal was Angie Harmon. The train is perhaps a bit overboard, I'll give you that. But I can't help but love her feathery ballet pink Monique Lhuillier gown. So frilly and feminine and hey, I'm a girl's girl.

Daper dudes
Fashion isn't all about the ladies. Check out these handsome fellas: Justin Timberlake in a Simon Spurr tux and James Franco in a Gucci suit. But really, who am I kidding? I don't care about what they're wearing. Take it off boys! Ooh, sorry. Got a bit carried away there. I'll simmer down...

A different approach
"Modern Family" hot mama Julie Bowen showed the boys how it's done in a Catherine Malandrino paintsuit. You may knock her choice but you gotta give it to her for guts. In a sea of gowns, Julie wasn't afraid to stand out-- and her body is smokin'.  

A forever do...
Finally, I'm throwing in the classic, forever beauty Betty White-- pictured here accepting her SAG award for Best Female Actor in a Comedy Series for "Hot in Cleveland"-- because 1) we should all be so lucky to look this good at 89, and 2) she is the reason I missed the awards to begin with! Besides the fact that I forgot, I was too busy watching her and my new girl crush, Jennifer Love Hewitt, in the Hallmark Hall of Fame movie "The Lost Valentine." Betty had me blubbering like a little baby. It was the sweetest and saddest love story ever. If you see it on while flipping through the channels, you should watch. You won't be disappointed.


There you have it! My SAG fashion rundown. So, did you watch the SAGs? Do you agree with my choices? Who was your "Best Dressed" of the night? (Mine's a tie between Mila and Julia.)



Red carpet images via Yahoo!
Betty White photo via E! Online

6 comments:

Erin {pughs' news} said...

I think the Glee girls looked gorgeous! Though I have to say, I preferred Lea Michele's dress at the Globes to this one. But still beautiful!

Like you, had no idea it was on until it was pretty much over. Then I spent ages perusing all the photos!

Bette White is awesome.

Dionne said...

I didn't even know the SAGs were on! My friend is a SAG member and goes every second year. I wanna get dressed up and go to a gala!

Helen said...

Haha, I had the same reaction! Didn't watch the show but loved looking at the gowns online!

My favorite is Tina - she is so classy and sexy all rolled up in one in that dress!

Shoshanah said...

Hailee is so cute! I think her dress is prefect for her, especially considering how young she is

Unknown said...

Mine's a tie between Mila and Tina! I was so proud of Tina and her Oscar gown - she looked stunning. And JT? That tie is smoking hot!

alli/hooray said...

I completely missed them this year, but of course I like to watch any awards show just to see the fashion:) Betty White looks fabulous!