Thursday, May 6, 2010

Gratitude's a funny thing




Today, the lovely Joanna over at Cup of Jo posted about Leah Dieterich and her fantastic blog-- one part inspiration, one part hilarity-- thxthxthx.

Like many moms, Leah's mother always told her to write thank-you notes. So now she does, writing them to anything and everything under the sun! Her blog is a daily exercise in gratitude, expressing thankfulness for the little things in life that we too often take for granted. It serves as a wonderful reminder to folks like me who can all too easily get bogged down in the busyness of life-- the responsibilities and the mundane to-do's-- and forget to stop and smell the roses, as they say.

Joanna encouraged us, her readers that is, to play along and write a thank-you note of our own for today. Here's the one I left in the comments:

Dear 3 p.m.,

Thank you for coming. Because now the newspaper is put to bed,
 my editor has no more questions 
and I can go take a nap.

Please come faster next week?

always,
Carissa


I'd like to add this one, though, too:

Dear Eggs, 

I love you. Scrambled, fried or poached. 
Benedict or hard boiled. 
Morning, noon or night. (In today's case, lunch.) 
You're always there for me, waiting in the fridge 
ready to get me out of a desperate (read: desperately hungry) situation. 
And you're quick, easy and delicious. Thanks for being you.

See you on the flip side.

(Wow, I'm cheesy. I crack myself up.)

(Ok, I'll stop now.)

With affection,
Carissa


I hope you'll play along, too!

And I found a similar "gratitude" blog recommended by one of the commenters on Joanna's post: Today's Letters. It is adorable and I am head over heels for its banner. Go check it out.

Hope you are having a good Thursday! And know that I am thankful for you!




P.S. Tracy, if you're reading this, I saw your thank-you note in the Cup of Jo comments and it made me laugh! I too have construction workers outside my window that have been waking me up at 8 a.m. for weeks! (There's a new Target going in across the street.) On top of that, my apartment complex has had tree trimmers out every morning and their chainsaws (or whatever it is making that god-awful noise!) go nonstop!

P.P.S. I am going to be taking that nap. Soon.

8 comments:

Erin {pughs' news} said...

Hi Carissa!
I saw this on A Cup of Jo today too. Loved it. And I love your letters (cheesy though they may be!) I might have to try writing a few of my own. I do the 3BT fairly often, but it might be fun to mix things up a bit...
Enjoy your nap.
xo

Dionne said...

I love this! I will have to go check these all out.

I need to think about my Thank You notes. Too many things/people/places to thank!

Heather Taylor said...

This is such a fabulous and remarkable idea! Why didn't I think of it? This is inspiring me to pen an ode to ranch dressing, love it ;)

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

Adorable!
That Joanna is always so inspiring~
LUV it!!

Blogs said...

Lovely Notes:) So cute.....cheesy is good! have a nice weekend!

Diana Mieczan said...

I love this:) Great post! Have a wonderful weekend:)
Greetings

sulu-design said...

I just came across your blog while tooling around in my etsy shop (thanks for hearting a couple of my necklaces). I'm enjoying going through your recent posts, and especially liked your note to the egg. Nice take on the thank you note project. I'll be back!

Stacey said...

Clever idea, I love your own letters to 3 pm and Eggs. :)