Thursday, November 25, 2010

Reasons to be thankful


Happy Thanksgiving, friends! Although today is without a doubt a day of gluttony, it is also a day to give thanks for everything you have. To stop thinking about what you want, what you need and be satisfied--no, overjoyed-- by what you do have, right now. I read a quote earlier that said, "There is always, always, always something to be thankful for." And it's true. Even in the most trying times. Even when you are grinning and bearing it through another dysfunctional family holiday. Even when it seems like things can't get any worse, you can't be any more stressed out, you can't be any more unhappy. If you take a minute to stop and think-- and of course, this requires you to actually do that, to stop and smell the roses, as they say-- you can always find something to be thankful for.


There's the obvious: Just being alive. Having a roof over my head-- one I don't even have to pay for. (Thanks Mom and Dad!) Having food on the table, or at the very least a fast food drive-thru away. Having a job that, while it does push me to the brink of my sanity sometimes, I do love, and it gives me purpose. Being able to pay my bills. My health. (That awful cold is finally gone, hooray!)


There's the people who make life worth living. My family of course. We may bump heads at times, we may get on each other's nerves, but at the end of the day, we love each other. We have seen each other's flaws and yet we still love each other. Nothing's better than that.

And then there's my friends. Where would we be without friends? They make me laugh, are there with a tissue and a hug when I cry, will listen when I need to vent and support me when I share my dreams. Yes, I am very thankful for my friends. (And this includes you!)

I'm thankful for the boy. Our relationship is complicated at times--but really, whose relationship isn't?-- but he is one of my best friends and I'm glad I have him in my life.

And I can't forget Hazel. Oh, how I adore that little fur ball. She brings me such joy. When she greets me at the door, running and jumping and kissing, that monkey can erase even the worst bad day.


Like happiness, I believe gratitude is a choice. It is a way of looking at things. Is the cup half empty or half full? I will admit, it's not always easy to be thankful, and I have been guilty on a couple occasions of complaining too much and being, well, for lack of a better term, an ungrateful brat. But making that choice to acknowledge the day and what comes your way with gratitude is without question the most encouraging, uplifting and fulfilling way to live.

So, about that cup? Today, I say half full.



Images via we heart it: 1, 2, 3 + 4

7 comments:

Amber said...

That poster is super inspirational and really puts life into perspective doesn't it?

It's not Thanksgiving in Canada today, but reading all of the American Thanksgiving posts really does make me thankful for my wonderful life today :)

Helen said...

Love this post and its honesty! Hope you had a great thanksgiving. We definitely have so much to be thankful for, and I love counting our blessings.<3

dee said...

I stoped around here and i like your blog :) gonna follow you and read more of your posts when i got some time!

:) Have a nice week!

Dionne said...

Yes, I am guilty of "Half-empty" syndrome at times. But B snaps me out of it and does something to remind me that it's actually full and overflowing.

Phoenix said...

Oh, I loved this post! The poster is such a great wake-up call about all that we take for granted growing up in the United States - and I adore that you're grateful for Hazel. Too cute!

Shannon of HAPPINESS IS said...

I'm tying really hard to be half full all the time and not just on Thanksgiving! Hope you had a special holiday with your loved ones! :) xo

Marisa Seguin said...

Love that illustrated Thanksgiving list! Especially the octopus!