Saturday, November 20, 2010

Fall faves


Thank goodness for the weekend. Lately, each day has seemed impossibly, perpetually long, one stretching into the next, with hardly a chance to catch my breath or get some sleep. And with the end of daylight savings time two weeks ago, nightfall comes sooner, making it seem like there are even less hours in the day to accomplish everything on my to-do list. Not that darkness has ever been a reason to stop my work.

*** 

No, only the weekend does that. So yes, thank goodness it is here. It is cold, rainy and completely gloomy outside, but I’m not that concerned. I am enjoying the chance to just stay inside, lie in bed, read a magazine-- just be lazy, you know? And forget, at least for a little while, that all my deadlines are moved up a day because of Thanksgiving.

The other good thing about a day like today is that it actually feels like fall is here. For a while there, the Southern California sun made it feel like summer in September. It wasn’t until around Halloween that the air seemed to change-- the smell of autumn was finally on the wind.

Feeling that brisk breeze, I was reminded of my favorite things about fall…


One of course being that chill in the air. Where I live, it doesn’t snow. And more than that, it doesn’t often get cold enough to button up in a cozy coat. Now, I am a Cali girl and I do love warm days and sun on my skin. I’ve said many times how I disdain the rain. But, I also relished the college semester I spent in Washington, D.C. There from January through May, I got to experience the tail end of an East Coast winter, and I absolutely loved being able to wear my purple peacoat. (In a sea of black coats, I wanted to stand out. There was no question the blonde in the purple coat was from the West Coast!) The boy always gives me a hard time about wearing sweaters on even warm days-- I like to cover my pale arms!-- but now I can pull out all those long sleeves in the back of my closet without hesitation. And I’m thinking I may be in need of a new coat to welcome the season. This red belted plaid version is festive, yes?


Another fall favorite, along the same lines, is layers. Again, it’s not often that I can bundle up so I love how the cool weather makes tights and scarves a necessity. 


But perhaps what I adore even more about fall fashion is the boots. Oh, how I love boots. Over jeans, with textured tights, I think they just make every outfit look effortlessly chic and put together. If fall were an outfit, Taylor Swift’s ensemble would be it.


Another of my fall faves is just as comforting as wrapping yourself in a big blanket or a cable-knit sweater, just in a different way. I’m talking about soup. I’m a big fan of soup but it is simply too hot to eat in August. But lately, it has practically become a food group for me. Our pantry is stocked with cans of Progresso. And just yesterday I treated myself to tomato bisque in a bread bowl. But the best is when my mom has a big pot of homemade soup bubbling on the stove, making the whole house smell delicious. My favorite is her chicken enchilada soup. It’s spicy but simple, creamy but healthy. (The recipe is from a Weight Watchers cookbook, I believe.) And anything with huge chunks of sweet carrots in it, topped with toasted strips of tortillas, is perfection in my book.


My final fall fave would be just about the best thing on a rainy day like today: hot cocoa. When I think of a perfect fall day, I think of leaves turning color outside, of families cranking up fireplaces that have sat idle for months, and of cold hands holding warm mugs of hot chocolate. With an abundance of marshmallows, of course. 


Or a swirl of whip cream. Both are divine. Pick your poison.

Oh, and I can't forget to add specialty Starbucks coffees that only come out at this time of year to the list. Caramel Brulee Latte, anyone? I had my first of the season yesterday and it was just as amazing as I remembered.

However, with all this laying around, snuggling under the covers and eating I plan on doing (let's not forget Thanksgiving is in just a few days!), perhaps I should put hitting up the gym on my list of fall favorites.

Hmmm, maybe later, once the skies clear. For now, I’m content to just stay exactly where I am.


So tell me, what are your fall faves?



Hope you're staying warm and dry,

6 comments:

Amber said...

You listed a lot of my faves as well! Scarves, boots, coffee :)

Shoshanah said...

I went to college with a light blue peacoat, and was told that everyone on the east coast where black on greys ones. And while I loved my time on the east coast, I definitely prefer far warmer California type winters.

Helen said...

Those are totally some of my reasons too about the cold weather! I mean, cold weather is just better fashion weather - you get to layer and wear cute coats! Also, I love soup. I honestly could live on it. It warms the spirit :)

Unknown said...

What a beautiful post! I love layers and leaves and gloomy days and the smell of fall. Jacket weather is my favorite. Luckily this year it's been a warm fall in Chicago so my jacket has got good use this go round!

Erin {pughs' news} said...

I love, love, love this post, Carissa! So much cozy loveliness... I too am a big fan of scarves and wool coats, hot chocolate and festive Starbucks' drinks in red cups.

It's freezing here, and we've just had a huge dump of snow. Autumn seems to be a thing of the past. Winter is in full-force now! I'm making the most of it, and spending lots of time drinking hot drinks by the fire.

Anonymous said...

were is the coat from in the picture