Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Little Miss Four Eyes

Some of you may not know this, but my vision is not exactly 20/20. This could be applied figuratively to my life but at this moment I mean it in the very literal sense. In fact, much to my chagrin, I recently had to get a stronger prescription. (My mother, although she can see, is "legally blind" and I dread the day that my own eyesight gets that bad.)

Many people, outside my friends and family, likely don't know I wear glasses because I very, very rarely wear them out in public. My purple Ray-Bans-- although not as hideous as the tiny, angular, librarian-esque frames I donned in middle and high school-- are primarily reserved for use at home, specifically late at night when I am in my pajamas in bed. They only grace my face outside if I have slept one too many nights in my contacts (a very bad habit of mine, I have to admit) and my eyes simply won't have it.

However, I would most certainly wear my glasses more often if I looked as cute as Anne Hathaway, who was the most lovely four-eyed creature on-- surprise, surprise!-- the red carpet for the Los Angeles premiere of her new animated flick, "Rio."


I mean, this is just not fair how adorable she looks! It's kind of gutsy wearing glasses on the red carpet, but she pulls it off gorgeously.

Granted, the overall aesthetics may not just be because of her natural beauty. Those tortoise shell frames got it going on, too.

Which reminds me that I've been wanting to purchase a new pair for myself, ones with a bit more vintage flair and personality. Mine are slightly dated, going on four years now I think, and the lenses are scuffed and scratched.

If I did treat myself to some eye candy, the first place I'd look is Warby Parker. Have you heard of them? You likely have since the company has been a darling of the blogosphere, but in case you haven't here's the scoop.

Warby Parker is a collaboration between four friends who wanted to provide an alternative to the overpriced and bland eyewear available today. Their fashionable frames retail for just $95-- a steal when you compare them to my pair, which cost upwards of $300. Plus, for every pair purchased, Warby Parker donates glasses to someone in need. How amazing is that?

I'm partial to colorful frames rather than basic black, so I'm loving:


Miles, in amber or sandalwood matte


(or, if you really want to get some stares, in tangerine!)


Which frames do you like best?

And for all you girls with glasses, check out... The Girls With Glasses! (They've been a bit quiet lately but they've promised to be back in full force soon and I bet you'll love 'em. One half of the duo is Brooke White, who is one of my favorite American Idol finalists! I was rooting for her all the way on Season 7! :)

Hope you're having a wonderful week!



P.S. If you didn't see my last post, check it out. I have a fashion dilemma and I need your help! :)


Anne Hathaway image via Glamour

5 comments:

bethany said...

It is days like this when I flirt with getting a faux pair of glasses. These are to die for! There's something so playfully nerdy about a sweet pair of specs! If you chose to upgrade, I can't wait to see what you choose!

I adore Anne's runway look. I do believe she's the classiest broad I know. (Or...know from her film appearances.)

Shoshanah said...

I never ever wear my glasses outside of bed. I hate the way I look in glasses, but am blind enough I need to wear contacts all the time.

Maris (In Good Taste) said...

I am in the exact same boat. My eyes are probably as bad as your moms. I only wear my glasses at night and it is so hard to find frames that look good and they are all so expensive. Lasik? maybe someday!

Phoenix said...

I wear contacts most of the time, but have a pair of glasses for emergencies. And they don't look NEARLY as cute as Anne Hathaway's, which is SO not fair!! :)

Helen said...

I love Anne's frames! I always wish my glasses were that chic. Maybe I'll invest in some cute ones next year? For now, I'll stick with the librarian nerdy look ;)