Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Frolicking birthday fun


Warning! Excessive but cute picture post to follow! :)

Yesterday was my baby girl's birthday. Yep, Hazel turned 3 years old. I can't believe how time flies! I still remember the day we got her, all two-and-a-half pounds. She was just a pocket-sized pooch back then. She's not much bigger now and she still acts like a puppy at times-- with her baby face, easily excitable temperament and similarities to the Energizer Bunny-- but as my friends joked, now she can drink!

Since her birthday fell on a Monday, I didn't have much time to spoil her. (Not that she is deprived by any means!) But luckily, she had a super fun weekend. On Saturday, she had a playdate with Abbey, the furry child of my married friends Ryan and Steph.


Though Abbey tends to be a bit skittish and is even known to bark at unknown dogs, the two pups hit it off right away. And Hazel looks like Abbey's little sister, don't you think? So adorable.

At first they hung around Steph and Ryan's apartment, mostly sniffing each other out. After they were thoroughly acquainted, we leashed up and went for a walk to the park. Now, Steph told me that Abbey has this funny habit that she always does on walks, especially to the park. She sniffs around and once she finds the perfect spot, she paws at the ground. Before you know it, she is rolled over on her back, shimmying and shaking around. It is so odd but so hilarious but Hazel never does this.


Well, when Abbey first began to take part in her favorite park pastime, Hazel just looked on in confused amazement. But next thing I know, she's joining in! Now, I know that Abbey may engage in this behavior for more sinister reasons (such as she smells another dog's scent and wants it on her) but since Hazel had never done it before and was clearly just following Abbey's influence, I let her roll in the grass to her heart's content. (Luckily, Hazel doesn't get grass stains!)

And I, being the proud mama that I am, took far too many pictures of the strange cuteness that ensued...

I think she looks like she's giggling in the last one...

Having so much fun, she didn't realize she was on a little hill!

Eventually, she decided to take a break and let the wind blow through her hair...

After a long walk around the park, we humans and our canine companions made our way back home. Despite the exercise, Hazel and Abbey kept playing together for another hour and a half, chasing each other around the living room and pretend fighting. Hazel also stole Abbey's stash of toys, bringing them out one by one. The little thief! Before we said goodbye, we made sure to put them all back. But Hazel still left with a new best friend.

I hope you enjoyed this little peek at Hazel and Abbey's playdate! Hazel may be another year older, but I think she'll always be young at heart-- and keep me feeling that way, too!

4 comments:

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

Happy birthday pup!

Dionne said...

A doggy play date! That is so cute! And happy birthday to Hazel! The first dog I ever held (and the to this day, the only dog!)..

Phoenix said...

SO MUCH CUTENESS can't handle!!!! Happy birthday to Hazel!!!

rachel said...

aww, happy birthday, hazel! she looks so happy :)