Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day Brunch

My momma, holding (and wearing!) her Mother's Day gifts

All you moms, grandmas, moms-to-be and, well, anyone who has ever loved like only a mother can, I hope you had a wonderful day!

To celebrate Mother's Day, my family went to brunch at The Cheesecake Factory. The restaurant was a bit hectic and there was a few mishaps with food not coming out correctly, but the server was great in fixing everything and he even comped a couple items on the bill. And the food, once corrected, was pretty darn tasty! (Though it put me in a food coma for the rest of the afternoon!)

Instead of going with my typical Sunday brunch order of Eggs Benedict, I decided to try something new: Baja Chicken Hash. Imagine poached eggs drizzled in hollandaise sauce sat atop two crispy tortillas and a hash of chicken chorizo, potatoes, poblano chiles, corn, peppers and onions (hold the cheese!). I would describe it as almost a Mexican-style Eggs Benny, so I guess I didn't go too far outside of my comfort zone :)



After we ordered our breakfasts, I presented our mom with her gift. Now that she has opened it, I can finally blog about it!

Last weekend, I scoured Etsy looking for a Mother's Day gift. I literally searched through all of my favorite shops but I couldn't find that just-right thing. I found one necklace that I was thisclose to purchasing but then decided to spend a little more time searching. After a few minutes, I stumbled upon a new-to-me, New York-based jewelry shop called Delezhen. I instantly fell in love with the beautiful jewels and delicate designs. Everything is very feminine and perfect for spring. After much hemming and hawing over three different pieces, I decided to go with this colorful, faceted jewel necklace with freshwater pearl accents.


I thought it looked pretty and special but could also easily be dressed up or down. I also thought it kind of looked like a Mother's Day necklace in a non-obvious way, with the three stones representing me, my younger brother Patrick and my older brother Jeremy.

(As a side note, Masha is a fantastic seller! I was worried the necklace wouldn't get to me in time since I ordered it Monday morning, but she sent me a message letting me know she would put it in the mail that very day. I actually got a shipping confirmation before I got that message! And my package arrived Wednesday. Couldn't have asked for better customer service. Plus, the necklace was even prettier and more dainty in person.)

Since my mom wasn't wearing any jewelry, I had her put her new necklace on right away. It went perfect with her turquoise sweater! You can see it in the top photo, but here's a close up:


We also got her an oats-and-honey scented candle in a nice white, lidded pot (like this one), which will look perfect in our recently redecorated blue-and-white living room. My brother picked out the fragrance. We both thought it smelled like breakfast-- how appropriate!

Speaking of Patrick, here he is! It's not often I get him to smile in a photo for me! (He's been dieting and exercising and he's lost a lot of weight-- 40 lbs! You can really see the difference when you look at this old photo.)


And here's my dad too, giving me one of his goofy faces.


Haha, nice dad! And here's me. Cheers! (I think I still look a little sleepy, but that mimosa perked me right up!)


What did you do to celebrate Mother's Day? I'd love to hear!

xoxo,

7 comments:

wishful nals said...

that necklace is GORGEOUS! sounds like such a wonderful day. :)

Lea said...

Such a beautiful necklace :) I love buying presents for my mom just because at some point, I know I'll be able to borrow her stuff if I ask. Hah. Just kidding, sort of.

The colors are so gorgeous. It'd be so easy to match with outfits since I'm usually wearing at least one of those colors.

Dionne said...

Oh that necklace is so pretty! And I love the Cheesecake Factory!

Me and B were here in TX, so we didn't get to celebrate with our mama bears, but sent them pressies and heartfelt cards.

Shoshanah said...

I love the food at The Cheesecake Factory, and your "Mexican Eggs Benedict" does look delicious. But I've had a few service issues there too. Not sure if it's just a bad coincidence, but even with the service issues I still go back for the food!

Tieka, Selective Potential said...

Aww, looks like a lovely day!! xo

Helen said...

Aww, love the family photos! How sweet of you to get your mom that pretty necklace -- I love the meaning behind it too

jack said...

The official website of the coach purse also has separate section advising the users on steps to clean their purse. The various kinds of purses have different directions.These tips are usually handy when one is clueless on how to clean their purse without shelling out excessive money for a designer coach purse. Coach Purses All said and done, treasure your coach purse by washing it once in a while, but not daily. Coach Purses in the United States