Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Happy Birthday, Marilyn!


I know the day is almost over but I couldn't let it slip away without wishing a happy birthday to one of the original glamour pusses, Ms. Marilyn Monroe. Can you believe she would have been 85 years old today? I stumbled upon these images earlier, which showcase a star in the making, and my breath was taken away. How stunningly gorgeous is she? I mean, she always looks good in any of the many photos that have been released, but she just looks so young and fresh and full of life here-- ready to tackle the world!

These photos, taken by LIFE photographer J. R. Eyerman, show the 22-year-old starlet in her early-career days, when she was still a newbie in Hollywood and her locks weren't yet that platinum blonde she later would become known for. Eyerman captured these photos in the fall of 1948, following Marilyn through the showbiz training-- acting, singing, dancing-- that would one day make her an icon.

Below are a few of my favorite photos (don't mind the arrows), but you can see the entire 18-image collection (and get the story behind the photos) in the LIFE.com gallery.








I love the mix of grace, attitude and casual realness in these photos. I've always loved Marilyn just for the fact that she was such an incredible sex symbol and yet she wasn't a toothpick-- she had curves and she knew how to work them! She oozed confidence and I could definitely learn a trick or two. I really want to watch some classic Marilyn films now... "Gentleman Prefer Blondes" or "How to Marry a Millionaire" or maybe "Some Like It Hot" ... Do you have a favorite?

And while we're playing favorites, which other silver screen sirens are you a fan of? Old school or new school, I'd love to hear!



P.S. In honor of Marilyn's birthday, I purchased a bright red lipstick for myself that I plan on wearing fiercely, most likely with a smoky eye but perhaps with some heavy, black liquid liner too, a la the timeless beauty herself. Don't you love how I can find any excuse to purchase makeup? :)

P.P.S. This is my 300th post! Woo hoo! I'm sure it would be a lot higher if I posted every day, but hey, you gotta pick your battles.

3 comments:

Dionne said...

I love Gentlemen Prefer Blondes! She's such an icon, isn't she?

To this day I have never tried to wear bright red lipstick. Well, a large part has to do with the fact that I am allergic to most lipsticks, but now I want to find a red one that I am not allergic to!

Erin {pughs' news} said...

I love Some Like it Hot. Hilarious!

Thanks for sharing, Carissa. I had no idea it was Marilyn's birthday.

Now we need to see a picture of you, rockin' the red lipstick!

PS: Verification word is "goddys". Not the right spelling, but I think you'll agree it's good one for a post about such a beauty!

Unknown said...

I have always loved Marilyn! She's just so completely gorgeous.

I bet you'll look amazing in a red lipstick! Go for the thick black liner/red lipstick combo - I love it.