Monday, January 26, 2009

guilty pleasures

Men have Monday night sports. Women have Monday night . . . reality shows! Namely, for me anyway, two hours of The Bachelor followed by 30 minutes (half of which is really commercials, ugh) of The City.

Ok, some might have written me off now, but remember the title of this blog: guilty pleasures. I know I am terrible for actually watching and enjoying these shows, but I also know I am not alone in that fact. So roll with me.


Anyway, first let me start off by saying that Jason Mesnick is probably the best looking Bachelor to date. So cute. And sweet. I get why the girls are crazy for him. BUT, some of these girls seem a little off their rocker. Like, more so than in past seasons. Don't know how that is possible, but I would argue that it is. Even during tonight's episode, there were so many times that I had to cover my eyes because I was that embarrassed for the girls. Well, mostly Shannon, who practically begged Jason to keep her.

(Spoiler alert! She got the ax. So glad she is gone. She just creeped me out. Same with Lauren. She literally demanded that she be given a rose on the group date or she would be "pissed off." Seriously? I don't think that is the way to a man's heart. Glad Jason agreed with my 'crazy' assessment.)

It also seems like there are a lot more tears this season. Every five minutes someone is breaking down. But maybe it just seems like there is more crying because I am remembering last season, which was The Bachelorette-- the men didn't shed quite so many tears for DeAnna. Ah, gotta love the drama. And gratuitous make-out sessions. (Ok, those I could live without...)


In other reality news, there was a lot of crying on The City tonight as well. My love for Whitney Port's New York-based "reality" show was a natural progression out of my obsession with The Hills. Not sure which I love more now, but luckily I don't have to choose sides: The City is on while The Hills is on hiatus. MTV couldn't pit LC against Whit, right? Never.

Back to the crying. Whitney wasn't shedding any tears. It was her friend Allie, who battled with the question of "Do I believe my girl friends when they tell me that my male model boyfriend cheated on me while I was out of town?" With my clarity as an audience member, I say the obvious answer to this question is "Yes." (My boyfriend agrees-- he watches with me. Ha! So much for Monday night football/now basketball. I win the remote control.) But of course, Allie, after many tears and public fights decides to--again *spoiler alert*-- side with her smooth talking beau. Oh, and Miss nose-perpetually-in-the-air Olivia Palermo was showing Whitney no sympathy (and actually told her to 'grow up' in so many words) for her woman-in-the-middle predicament (since she is friends with Allie, whose boyfriend, Adam, is the best friend of her boyfriend, Jay. That sounds confusing but you get it, right?) Hmmm... we'll see how this all plays out.

Just keep watching with me. Don't worry, I won't tell (unless you do!).

Which reality shows can you not get enough of?

(I also love AmIdol, but that's another blog.)



P.S. You can read a recap of tonight's Bachelor episode on host Chris Harrison's blog on EW.com.

Images via ABC and MTV

4 comments:

Andhari said...

heheh, i like how sooo many tears and crazy dramas too in the bachelor, whatever people tell me I secretly am convinced it was scripted. Are those women really that dysfunctional?

lol.

ps. the city is in, the hills is out indeed

Amber said...

I'm not really into any reality shows anymore. I used to be obsessed with Big Brother but now the only time I can find time for TV, or actually I make time for TV, is on Sundays and Thursdays for Desperate Housewives and Grey's!!

Joanna Goddard said...

YES! i love the bachelor. it's such a guilty pleasure. some of the girls were insane! it was so gross when he was picking napkin off shannon's mouth! :) and i LOVE that jason doesn't have a poker face--he legitimately looks freaked out when the girls are NUTS!

You Are My Fave said...

I embarrassingly enough watch and love the Bachelor this season. I agreed with all his choices last week. Shannon needed to sim simma. I think he'll make the right choice. I can't wait to see what he says to Deanna. Oh, I'm so lame.