Friday, January 23, 2009

Wishing for a money tree

Sorry for the late post, but I was actually productive today! Yipee! Made my phone calls, did my interviews, set up photo shoots... No procrastination here. At least not today. Baby steps, right?



Anyway, I have been seeing commercials for the upcoming movie, Confessions of a Shopaholic, and I am excited. I have never read any of the Sophie Kinsella books but it looks like my type of movie. Why? 

No. 1: I love chick flicks. Never saw one I didn't like. 
No. 2: I love Isla Fisher (from "Wedding Crashers," my boyfriend's favorite movie of all time, like knows every line-- it's crazy!). I think Isla is beautiful and funny and I adore saying her name. And, I heard her do an interview on TV the other day and realized she is Australian (Well, according to IMDB she was born to Scottish parents in the Middle Eastern country of Oman but moved "down under" when she was 4ish). I didn't know because she talks like a Yankee on film, but she actually has that Aussie accent that you just wish you had. Sounds so cool and mysterious to my American ears.
No. 3 reason I want to see the movie: I love to shop. Even though I can't afford it. Just like Confessions' heroine, Rebecca Bloomwood.

Which got me thinking about how I wish I had more money to indulge in nice things. I mean, don't we all? But right now, all I can (barely) afford on my measly $13/hr paycheck is rent, school loans and groceries! Oh, and paying off this thing I am typing on (thanks, Mac).

Still, my boyfriend likes to say I have a spending problem. I like to say I don't. Really, I don't. Except at Christmastime. Or when on vacation. I tend to go overboard then. But in general I think I have kept my wallet and credit lines in check.

But wouldn't it be nice to buy that Coach bag you've had your eye on (this one too)? Or a beautiful pair of red-soled Louboutins that you tell yourself you will wear enough times to make that nearly $900 price tag worth it?

Well, a girl can dream, can't she? At least right now it is "in" to be a Recessionista. AKA, thrifty. Fashionistas are so last year. Ha! I'm still looking for my money tree. 'Til then, I'll continue my window shopping. 

I'm pretty good at it. Trust. My bf can attest to that. I live behind a mall after all.

Becky Bloomwood would never survive.



So, are you a Recessionista or a Shopaholic?

2 comments:

Amber said...

You should definitely read those books, they are SOO good! I'm also very excited for the movie. I'm definitely a shopaholic at heart, unfortunately being a student and all I don't get to indulge in my inner shopaholic right now!

Andhari said...

I have spending problem too, I was stressed out the other day, happened to be in a mall and just got two pairs of louboutins like that. While I was supposed to use those money to save up a bit to buy a birkin bag.:(

I always overindulge and thats a bad thing sometimes.