Thursday, January 15, 2009

Hello, lovely.


Fifteen days into the new year and I am finally doing something I have been meaning to do for quite some time: start a blog. A relatively simple venture but I had my reasons for staying away. I mean, put my life out there for the world to see? Sounds a bit scary. (That is, if people read this. And I hope that, eventually, they do.) But see, that's the thing. Even though all the NYE hoopla is two weeks behind us, I think I can still safely make a few resolutions and maybe keep them (hey, I am still seeing some holiday-themed commercials after all), and the one I want to make most is this:

Embrace change.
Or even, create it.

"Change" was the buzzword of 2008. We saw it everywhere. And people were looking for it everywhere. They still are. With the economy a mess, people are searching for hope on the horizon. And many times, hope comes in the form of change.

Yes, I voted for Obama. I voted for Bush, too, but that's a different story. Although I pledged my allegiance to Obama at the ballot box this past November and I stand behind his dreams and goals for our country, I wouldn't consider myself an Obama maniac. (Or an Obama Mama? No, no.) And even though I am a reporter and I tried my dardest to keep up to date on the campaign--covering local politics for the Simi Valley Acorn kept me pretty busy. We had quite a mayoral race. Ha ha-- I never got completely swept up in the hysteria surrounding the election of our first black president. I never chanted "Yes We Can" with the fervor displayed by the masses I saw on TV.

And yet, with just four days left before the inauguration of our 44th president and excitement reaching a crescendo, I am reminded of why change is so important and not something to resist. How turning from one path to another can lead to something... Well, I guess we don't know what yet. But I am starting to think "Yes We Can" instead of the hemming-and-hawing, weak-and-wavering philosophy of "No, I can't, I shouldn't, etc. etc. etc."

So while I don't know where I'm going, this blog will document the journey-- sometimes seriously, sometimes not so seriously. I hope you will stay with me for the ride.

Image via www.allposters.com

No comments: