Friday, June 5, 2009

A bowl of goodness

June has been taking its "gloomy" reputation pretty seriously this week. It has been raining on and off today, at times pouring, leading me to question, "Where did the beautiful, So Cal summer weather go?"

As I have mentioned before, I am not a big fan of rain. But it is good for the land and it is a good excuse to have soup.


That's right. I saw the rain out our balcony window and the first thing I thought was, I can finally enjoy that golden butternut squash soup in the pantry. I picked up a few cartons of Campbell's V8 soups a week or so ago at the grocery store because they sounded delicious but I hadn't gotten around to trying them yet. I have sweet red pepper and southwestern corn, too, but it felt like a butternut squash day.

(I'm eating a spoonful now and it was a good choice. It's delish! Creamy but still some texture, and very filling. All I added was a bit of pepper, because I like a little more spice.)

What I love most about these is that they are surprisingly healthy for cream soups. The bowl of goodness I am eating today has just 140 calories and 2 grams of fat per serving, which is 1 cup. And like V8 juice, it is a full serving of vegetables. Because of these stats, I allowed myself to have some small slices of sourdough toast alongside my mug of soup (I love eating soup out of a large mug, especially Cup of Noodles because that's how my "Grandmama" used to always give it to me. With a straw, too.)

So, is it raining where you are today? Are you craving some soup now? I know I am not the only one who loves soup on a cold day (though, my boyfriend and best friend NEVER eat soup. I tell them they are missing out). 

And if you have tried any of the other Campbell's V8 soup flavors, let me know if they are worth the price because, even though these soups are healthful and tasty, they are not as cheap as regular soup. (If I am remembering right, they are about $3.50 a carton).

Still, I am very happy to have found a satisfying replacement to that creamy tomato bisque soup that is sooo good but sooo bad at a whopping 30-ish grams of fat per serving! Golden Butternut Squash, you can stay. But I'm sorry Creamy Tomato Bisque, you got to get to stepping.

7 comments:

You Are My Fave said...

I've got to try these. I definitely need some more veggies in my diet. I don't think cookie dough is considered to be one.

Amber said...

I LOVVE soup! Beef barley soup is one of my absolute favs! It was raining up here today too, I was not very happy about it!!

Unknown said...

I think I could eat soup every...single...day. I'm obsessed! Even when its hot out, there is something comforting about soup. The one thing that holds me back though is the salt content in a lot of soups (I'm not a large fan of creamy soup so I don't have to worry so much about the fat content)...they could have TONS of salt! My favourite soup of all is definitely (drumroll please!) BUTTERNUT SQUASH!!! yay! we are bonded butternut squash buddies!

Angela said...

i love tomato bisque. i agree with you June gloom in the morning is a little depression.

Elizabeth Marie said...

Oh soup...I wish I could love you more.

Maybe I need to try these though, they sound good!

And seriously, this bipolar weather is killing me. Now it's sunny but earlier it was sprinkling. Weather, pick a personality. :)

XOXO

Shoshanah said...

I love soup too! And like you my boyfriend hates it! He's said it if food your supposed to chew it and if its a liquid your supposed to drink it. haha. The only time we've ever had soup together he had to eat it over rice, which of course made it less soup like.

bethany said...

Soup is amazing, and I would have loved some today. I've drove across the entire state of Wisconsin today, and it was gloomy and rainy the entire drive.

I love anything squashy, so I will have to try this! :)