Thursday, November 19, 2009

Great Expectations

I haven’t been to the movies much lately. The last time I stepped inside a theater was for “Paranormal Activity.” The boy and I saw it a few weeks after it came out and by then most of the hubbub had died down. (Mini-review: I’m usually not a fan of scary movies, but this wasn’t too fright inducing. In fact, it was a bit laughable. And at times I wanted to slap some sense into the boyfriend character. But overall, I still enjoyed it.)

Other than “Paranormal Activity,” I can’t even remember what I saw last. That’s how long ago it was. My lack of movie going is not due to a lack of interest in recent releases. There have been many flicks that I wanted to see and simply didn’t, and now I have to wait for DVD (or On Demand, whichever comes first). I blame the boy for my lackluster box office showing. It seems he is working every weekend now, getting in early or coming home late, and if he does actually have Sunday off like he is supposed to, the day is lost to football.



But I am breaking this depressing trend this weekend. I am far too excited to see Sandra Bullock in “The Blind Side.” I saw the previews months ago and immediately put it on my running list of movies to see (yes, I really do have a list!). Anyone else as thrilled as me to see the film? Seriously, I’ve choked up a couple times just watching the trailer, it looks that good. I told the boy that we have to go see it, but he wasn’t as enthusiastic about the prospect. I tried to convince him that it’s a sports movie, but he didn’t buy it. No worries. Like any good girlfriend, I’ll remind him of that time I saw {insert any blow-em-up, shoot-em-up movie title here} and drag him along.

So, do you want to know what else I am looking forward to (hopefully) seeing in theaters this winter? Here’s my list:



Limited release in NY and LA Nov. 25, Everywhere else Dec. 11
This just looks too adorable to pass up. The fact that it is by Disney is enough to make me see it. But there’s more. It is set in 1920s New Orleans. The tale centers on Princess Tiana, the animation studio’s first African American princess. The talk show diva herself, Oprah Winfrey, voices Tiana’s mother, Eudora. It is from the directors of “The Little Mermaid” (my all time favorite movie) and “Aladdin.” And best of all, it marks Disney’s return to hand-drawn animation! Need I say more?




Limited release Dec. 11, Everywhere else Jan. 15
I love love love this book. When people ask me what my favorite books are, this title is one of the first that springs to my mind. I can’t wait to see Alice Sebold’s words come to life on screen and get a glimpse of Susie Salmon in director Peter Jackson’s interpretation of “the in-between.”




Opens Dec. 18
Hello, Carrie! Er, I mean, Sarah Jessica. To be honest, that’s all I need to know to plop down 12 bucks for ticket. Gotta get my SJP fix while waiting for “Sex and the City 2” to debut (May is so far away!). Plus, it looks cute and funny, your standard rom-com. Which is just my kind of movie.




Nine
Limited release Dec. 18, Everywhere else Dec. 25
All you have to do is watch the trailer, read the cast list—Daniel Day-Lewis, Marion Cotillard, Penelope Cruz, Kate Hudson, Nicole Kidman, Sophia Loren, Judi Dench, Fergie—and see that the it is from the director of "Chicago" to know this one’s gonna be good. Fabulously good.


Now tell me: what’s on your list?



poster image sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

5 comments:

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

I too want to see the Blind Side - it's not that old of a true story too, the kid in the movie just got drafted (to Baltimore I think)...

I didn't realize they made Lovely Bones into a movie, I read that book. Very moving.

Andhari said...

Wooow, I would like to see SJP's new movie please. It sounds like a perfect chick flick so far to watch on girls night in :)

Another movie that I'm waiting for would be Avatar, as nerdy as it sounds. It looks really good, the trailer.

Amber said...

I'm going to see New Moon on Sunday (didn't like the books but think the movie looks good).

I think 'Did you hear about the Morgans?' looks hilarious!

Shoshanah said...

All of those are one my list! Although I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to be able to drag the boy to see Nine with me.

Ashley said...

I saw the trailer for The Lovely Bones when I went to see New Moon. I read the book several years ago and I'm excited to see the movie. It looks very stylized, which could be good or bad, but I do love Peter Jackson, so it will probably be good.