Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Car lust

No joke, I was very tempted to buy one of these today:

The 2009 MAZDA6. It starts at $19,220. Mine would have a spoiler though.

I really did give it a lot of thought this past weekend, like, should I go down to a dealership tomorrow?

So why today, you ask? Well, because starting April 1, the sales tax in California goes up 1 percent. That's a lot of money when it comes to buying a car, money I would like to keep in my pocket. My car, a 1998 Chevy Cavalier, is getting pretty old and it has most definitely seen better days (before the 100,000 miles). And while I love it, my poor Chevy is simply falling apart and I'm not sure how much longer it can last. I actually wanted to buy a new car during the holidays but wasn't in the financial position to do so. About 4 months later, not much has changed. But the non-stop car ads that were urging me to buy before the end of the month almost swayed me. Unfortunately, I am going to have to let the good deals pass me by because I can't afford the $300+ car payment each month on top of my other bills. No zoom-zoom for me.

So what do you drive? Is yours about to die, like mine? And what are your thoughts on used cars?


P.S. I would settle for a Prius, too.

MAZDA6 image via Edmunds

2 comments:

Amber said...

Oh I LOVE Prius' I want one so bad!

I will actually be getting a new car next week. I had a Ford Escape but we got in a car accident back in November and it got wrote off :-( So sad, I LOVED my Escape and I plan on getting another one eventually.

Right now though, I just need something that will be cheap to buy and cheap on gas. So I'm going to get a car instead of another SUV. We didn't really need a vehicle when we were going to school, but we'll need one for over the summer when I'm working. My dad is coming down next week to help me pick one out. I wouldn't mind getting a Toyota, I've heard they're REALLY good on gas. Unfortunately, a Prius is a little out of my price range, but I've been looking at the Yaris and I'm thinking really hard about getting one!

I'm actually going to do a blog post soon (Thursday maybe?) asking what car everyone recommends.

That sucks you weren't able to get a new car before the big tax hike, maybe you can find a decent used one somewhere?!

Andhari said...

I'm driving a Toyota Rush ( SUV ) and Camry which I rotate depends on the rainy season or not. I don't like driving short car when it rains and jakarta tends to have floods here and there. Or I drive parents cars sometimes for a variation. cars are so expensive these days. I always wanna trade my Rush for a really cool SUV. Maybe not from Toyota to differ a little bit.