Friday, May 22, 2009

Breathe and reboot


TGIF! So glad it is Friday. Yesterday, I was thankful for it just being Thursday since that is the day when my work week starts to wind down. I finish last minute stories, do the police blotter, that week's paper gets "put to bed" as we say and then I ... relax.

Well, I did a little more than relax yesterday. I have a secret actually. But I can't spill just yet. Let's just say I have some big, exciting news to share (well, big and exciting to me, anyway) but I can't divulge until I have talked to my parents. See, my mom reads this blog and if she found out on here first, I don't think she would be too happy. So, I'll leave you in suspense for a day or two. Till then, feel free to guess in the comments. I'll rule two things out though first: NO, I am not engaged. (Ha!) And NO, I am not pregnant (double ha!).

As you probably can tell, since I haven't posted since Tuesday (sorry!) I was pretty busy this week. So I am very glad that tomorrow is the weekend! I still have lots of to-dos to scratch off the list today but it is a little easier to breathe on Fridays. Does anyone else get that feeling? See, on Mondays and Tuesdays and even sometimes on Wednesdays, I wake up with this stress-ball-in-the-pit-of-my-stomach feeling because of all the stuff I need to get done, especially now that my editor has two papers to put out instead of one. I really need to be on my game simply to make things less stressful for him. (As I kind of talked about in this post about two weeks ago). My days go something like this: Call this official. Interview this person. Go to this meeting. Set up this photo. Write this story. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

So while this schedule still applies to Fridays because I do have to get a jump on next week's paper, my deadlines are a few days away and I feel better. Like, deep-breath-and-release better. TGIF, indeed.

I have resolved to take advantage of my weekends more instead of falling into my routine of just sleeping in and laying around the house-- which is nice sometimes but definitely boring. Inactive. Un-fun. So this weekend I am already planning to go to Simi's 20th annual Cajun Creole Music Festival. It is pretty much the biggest thing that happens in my town all year and it's benefits local organizations so, why not? I used to go with my family as a kid but I haven't been now in ages. Should be a good time and I'll post some pictures Monday.

I am also hoping to find time to read a book this weekend and maybe see a movie (I am dying to see The Soloist. Very appropriate, me being a journalist and all. You never can get too far away from work, can you?)

Do you have any fun plans this weekend? Love to hear them!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooooh i want to know the secret!

Amber said...

I was going to guess pregnant or engaged ;-) JK!

I will guess some sort of promotion at work!

The paper that I'm freelancing for has a deadline of Thursday at noon, so even though I'm only doing 1-3 stories a week, on top of my internship it can be stressful, so Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday morning are *crunch time* for me! I was hoping today would be a bit more relaxing but I'm busier than usual at my internship. Oh well, I guess the weekends are meant for relaxing anyways!

Have an awesome weekend, I can't wait to find out your big surprise :-)

Shoshanah said...

I too spend far too many weekends lazy around the apartment. It is nice every once in a while, but does get a little boring after I bit.

And can't wait to hear the big news!

mamacart51@aol.com said...

Hey Carissa
Big News? When do you spill? Should I get Piper's. Dad & I are waiting. Glad not pregnant or engaged. To young! Love, me

Jamie said...

Big news? You're moving!

Angela said...

I can't wait for the weekend to catch up on some nap time.

Andhari said...

What big news? AHHHHHH now I'm curious like crazy! It's so exciting!