Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Bow and Arrow

Cupid, one of ABC's newest shows, is on tonight and I have to admit, as cheesy as it is, I'm kind of excited. As I have mentioned on here before, I'm a total rom-com girl, so I was pretty much hooked from the first episode. But it's not the plot line that has got me, because the last episode I sawwhich was 2 weeks ago; I am pretty sure it skipped a week for some reasonwas beyond ridiculous. Here's a recap if you missed it (though you can watch it online if you really want to): A teen guy searches for and finds his sperm donor father and then, realizing how great this donor is that his mother technically picked out, he tries to set him up with his mom. The catch? Sperm-donor dad is a Republican and mom is a Democrat. Which totally gets in the way of any romance until the two realize that, political beliefs be damned, they are perfect for each other and they both care about their son. Insert obligatory "aww" here. Oh, and by the way, when the son springs the news on his mom that her date is in fact his dad, it's all hearts and rainbows, no negative reaction from either. Reality? I say not. But I guess that's what you get from a show based on a mythical god.

Anyway, what I do love is the witty banter between the show's two main characters, Trevor Pierce aka Cupid (Bobby Cannavale) and psychiatrist/self-help author Dr. Claire McCrae ( Sarah Paulson). See, Trevor is assumed crazy because he believes he is Cupid and that he must match up 100 romantically-challenged New York couples before he can return to Mt. Olympus. So he has been placed under the care of Claire, who believes true love is more than the stuff of fairy tales (or sex).

As with any good rom-com sitcom, there is an obvious attraction and chemistry between the two and it's only a matter of time before they get it on. Until then, we can enjoy Trevor's snappy one liners and goofy-yet-adorable good looks.

So anyone else watching this show? Or is it a bit too cheesy for you? Any other new ABC shows you are watching? There's a lot of new ones like Castle (I like), Surviving Suburbia (Eh) and The Unusuals (haven't seen)...

If you want to set your TiVos (or DVRs as in my case), Cupid airs Tuesdays at 10 p.m. after Dancing. Escapist TV is just an hour away! If you watch it tonight, tell me what you think.

Images via ABC.com

1 comment:

Andhari said...

I like cheesy romantic comedies. I always watch one especially during midnights haha so I can cry as loud as I want, you see?:P I'll watch this.